I would like to know when to use a FutureBuilder and how is it usefull, given the fact that a widget can be built multiple times during its life time and not only when we setState or update it, so instead of using below code:
class MyHomePage extends StatefulWidget {
@override
_MyHomePageState createState() => _MyHomePageState();
}
class _MyHomePageState extends State<MyHomePage> {
bool done = false;
@override
void initState() {
wait();
super.initState();
}
Future<void> wait() async {
await Future.delayed(Duration(seconds: 2));
setState(() {
done = true;
});
}
@override
Widget build(BuildContext context) {
print('is built');
return done ? Scaffold(
body: Center(
child: Column(
mainAxisAlignment: MainAxisAlignment.center,
children: <Widget>[
Text(
'You have pushed the button this many times:',
),
Text(
'',
style: Theme.of(context).textTheme.headline4,
),
],
),
),
floatingActionButton: FloatingActionButton(
onPressed: () {},
tooltip: 'Increment',
child: Icon(Icons.add),
),
) : Scaffold(body: CircularProgressIndicator(),);
}
}
In which cases would a FutureBuilder work for me instead of the above set up, given the fact that I would also want to optimize my app for less backend reads (in FutureBuilder I would read more than once). I am looking for a case where FutureBuilder would be more usefull and correct than the above setup.