Structure dev and prod environments inside MongoDB atlas

Viewed 404

I'm using MongoDB Atlas and I'm trying to figure out how to structure my DBS inside MongoDB Atlas.

I'm want to create 1 DB for dev and 1 DB for prod.

I create an organization and thinking about creating 2 projects: development, production. Inside the development project, I will create a cluster: app-dev (and inside that cluster my dev DB).

And inside my production project, I will create a cluster: app-prod (and inside that cluster my prod DB).

Should I keep it like that or should I stick to 1 project (because it's the same app) and 1 cluster, and inside that cluster create 1 dev DB and 1 prod DB.

Thanks.

1 Answers

You should use separate clusters for isolation. There are many cluster-wide operations in MongoDB that can affect your production database if there's a development database running in the same cluster.

If you put both databases on the same cluster, they would also share resources (thus a runaway operation in development would DOS your production site).

Related