I am trying to split sentences into clauses using spaCy for classification with a MLLib. I have searched for one of two solutions that I consider the best way to approach but haven't quite had much luck.
Option: Would be to use the tokens in the doc i.e.
token.pos_that match toSCONJand split as a sentence.Option: Would be to create a list using whatever spaCy has as a dictionary of values it identifies as
SCONJ
The issue with 1 is that I only have .text, .i, and no .pos_ as the custom boundaries (as far as I am aware needs to be run before the parser.
The issue with 2 is that I can't seem to find the dictionary. It is also a really hacky approach.
import deplacy
from spacy.language import Language
# Uncomment to visualise how the tokens are labelled
# deplacy.render(doc)
custom_EOS = ['.', ',', '!', '!']
custom_conj = ['then', 'so']
@Language.component("set_custom_boundaries")
def set_custom_boundaries(doc):
for token in doc[:-1]:
if token.text in custom_EOS:
doc[token.i + 1].is_sent_start = True
if token.text in custom_conj:
doc[token.i].is_sent_start = True
return doc
def set_sentence_breaks(doc):
for token in doc:
if token == "SCONJ":
doc[token.i].is_sent_start = True
def main():
text = "In the add user use case, we need to consider speed and reliability " \
"so use of a relational DB would be better than using SQLite. Though " \
"it may take extra effort to convert @Bot"
nlp = spacy.load("en_core_web_sm")
nlp.add_pipe("set_custom_boundaries", before="parser")
doc = nlp(text)
# for token in doc:
# print(token.pos_)
print("Sentences:", [sent.text for sent in doc.sents])
if __name__ == "__main__":
main()
Current Output
Sentences: ['In the add user use case,',
'we need to consider speed and reliability,
'so the use of a relational DB would be better than using SQLite.',
'Though it may take extra effort to convert @Bot']