I'm overriding save on an ActiveRecord model in order to handle an edge case:
class A < ActiveRecord::Base
belongs_to :b
def save *args
super
rescue ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid => ex
log_warning
retry unless @foo
throw ex
end
end
a = A.new
a.build_b
a.save
And I find that when the save function executes for the second time (because of the retry), I get a MySQL error pertaining to the associated record b:
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: Mysql2::Error: Field 'created_at' doesn't have a default value: INSERT INTO
bsVALUES ()
Using a breakpoint I can see that after the retry, the invocation of ActiveRecord#_create_record (see source) for b has an empty array ([]) for the attributes to be saved, whereas it is ["full_name","company","id","owner_id","created_at","updated_at"] on the first invocation.
Why is retry breaking the auto-saving of associated records? What can I do about it?
The link above is for ActiveRecord 4.2.11.3, which is the version for the project I'm working in.