How to inherit component palette icons (*.dcr files) for custom components?

Viewed 106

In the past, I have written custom components for Borland C++Builder. Some of these were derived from existing components, for example:

class PACKAGE TMyEdit : public TEdit
{
   ...
}

For some of these, I have also made custom bitmaps for the palette (.dcr files). I know how to create and edit them; that's not the point here.

Nowadays, I'm using a newer version of the IDE, Embarcadero C++Builder XE, and I notice a difference in behaviour for components without a .dcr file.

In the old days, the bitmap on the palette would be the same as the one where the component was derived from. Let's say the TMyEdit had the same bitmap as the TEdit.

But now, these components get a default icon. So all components without a .dcr file look alike on the palette.

I see 2 possible ways to solve this:

  1. Is there perhaps some way to indicate in the source files that I want to inherit the bitmap of the original component?

  2. If that isn't possible, I'll have to create new .dcr files for each new component. Is there a neat way to retrieve the original bitmaps? Perhaps there exists a resource file? Or an option in a wizard that I haven't found yet? If not, I'll have to resort to using Alt-PrtScn and MSPaint. That would work, but it would be tedious.

0 Answers
Related