How do I enroll to Google Play App Signing from a Visual Studio (Xamarin) generated keystore?

Viewed 448

I have a Xamarin application which I have published to the Google Play store in the .apk format using a Foo.keystore (generated by Visual Studio) and Foo alias. With the new Google policies I will be soon required to use the .aab format, which in itself is not an issue. When uploading my .aab the Google PLay Console, I am required to opt-in to "Play App Signing" and essentially asked to upload my existing private key and also a new "upload" key.

How do I upload the private key from my Foo.keystore to "Opt in to Play App Signing"?

I'd also like to know how to create a new upload key? I understand this is optional and Google could generate one for me, but I'd like to do it the "properway".

In the "opt-in" dialogue I am presented with three options:

  • Export and upload a key from Android Studio
  • Export and upload a key from Java keystore
  • Export and upload a key (not using Java Keystore)

I have attempted the first option (Android Studio) and ran the following command to export the key: C:\Program Files\Android\jdk\microsoft_dist_openjdk_1.8.0.25\jre\bin>keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore E:\Temp\Foo.keystore -destkeystore E:\Temp\Foo.p12 -deststoretype PKCS12

However I got the error message: "The private key was not properly encrypted or is not a type of key we support." when uploading the file in the opt-in dialogue.

Note: The other options required me to run some Java app and I want to avoid installing / learning Java just to execute a tool and I'm really not sure how to proceed. I have searched Stack Overflow and other resources and did not find any clear info on how to proceed.

Any adivices and pointers would be appreciated!

0 Answers
Related