Use default vs separate VPC for AWS MWAA

Viewed 202

I am currently setting up AWS MWAA. I will be using Apache Airflow for performing aggregations on an AWS RDS database that is in the default VPC. Should I create a new VPC for AWS MWAA or can I use the default VPC? What are the advantages of having a separate VPC?

AWS documentation mostly describes what to do when you want to create a new VPC for MWAA.

1 Answers

A relevant section from the Get Started guide says:

You can configure an existing VPC that meets these requirements (advanced) as seen in About networking on Amazon MWAA, or create the VPC and networking components, as defined in Create the VPC network.

It looks like both using an existing VPC and creating a new one are supported options.

The same document says that VPCs shared between AWS accounts are not supported. That might be a reason to create a new VPC.

aws documentation

As far as I can tell, having a separate VPC is popular with Ops people because then services are properly separated from one another, with interactions between services being properly managed with proper oversight.

But the nature of Airflow is to talk to lots of different services in your AWS account (RDS databases, S3 buckets etc.) so perhaps having a single VPC makes life easier.

Disclaimer: this isn't at all a recommendation. I'm a software engineer not an ops person and I don't have any insight at all into whether or not putting everything into one VPC is a good idea.

Related