Failed to load FileDescriptorProto for '_CLOUD_QUERY_METADATA_SCHEMA_'

Viewed 348

My Firebase project is integrated with BigQuery, so all raw Google Analytics events are exported daily & streamed to a dedicated collection.

Since today even simple queries on those events are failing with an error:

Error running query

Failed to load FileDescriptorProto for 'CLOUD_QUERY_METADATA_SCHEMA': ;Field number 23 has already been used in "Msg_0_CLOUD_QUERY_TABLE" by field "items".

An example query which is failing:

SELECT * FROM `project.analytics_184030700.events_*` WHERE event_name IN ("share")

As I mentioned, those (and more advanced) queries used to run until yesterday. I did not change the schema nor any other configuration in the meantime. I've also noticed that BigQuery was updated yesterday.

Looking at the error description, looks like my table schema indeed contains a field called items (a very last one, 23rd) but it was automatically added by Google Analytics.

My suspicions:

  1. Something went wrong with the recent BigQuery release
  2. Something went wrong during daily sync Google Analytics -> BigQuery
  3. Some old job or cache is getting in the way of new queries

At this point I have no idea what to try next. Does anyone have any insight into what could be causing this error?

EDIT: I noticed that this problem was also just reported in the Google Issue Tracker here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/192325507.

2 Answers

I have same issue and I didn't solve it yet but as you said it's cause is Firebase I guess. There's an extra field problem which are limited only for three days (26th,27th and 28th June).

privacy_info problem firebase bigquery

I checked all data older than 26th June but there was no privacy_info field. As you see there is no privacy_info field again for 29th June. I think firebase put this new field but they changed their mind for some reason. But this causes a big problem for us.

Update: I changed this part:

SELECT * FROM `project.analytics_184030700.events_*`

Like this:

SELECT * FROM `project.analytics_184030700.events_2*`

Interestingly this worked for me.

You can do a workaround for that issue; It seems there are problems with the field

privacy_info

If you select multiple table partitions, just make sure you only select the fields you need, and omit the field privacy_info.

Not using "SELECT *" did resolve this error for me.

Related