BIG EDIT SINCE I DID SOME MORE RESEARCH
I'm trying to deploy my first Nodejs/React App on a Cloud-Server using Plesk.
That's what I tried first: I created an .httaccess file with the following contents.
Options -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^ index.html [QSA,L]
Problem with this was, that I didn't have access to express app.js anymore, since react's index.html file handles everything. So the alternative is to route accordingly out of app.js from express. I have found the following approach and trie to implement it.
Approch:
/api/app.js
app.use('/result', resultRouter);
app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'build')));
app.get('/', function (req, res) {
res.sendFile(path.join(__dirname, 'build', 'index.html'));
});
app.get('/*', function (req, res) {
res.sendFile(path.join(__dirname, 'build', 'index.html'));
});
My implementation:
var createError = require('http-errors');
var express = require('express');
const cors = require('cors');
var path = require('path');
var cookieParser = require('cookie-parser');
var logger = require('morgan');
require('dotenv').config();
var helmet = require('helmet');
var indexRouter = require('./routes/index');
var usersRouter = require('./routes/users');
var resultRouter = require('./routes/result');
var app = express();
app.use(helmet());
app.use(cors());
app.use((req, res, next) => {
res.header('Access-Control-Allow-Origin', 'http://localhost:3000');
next();
});
//Set up mongoose connection
var mongoose = require('mongoose');
var mongoDB = 'MYMONGODBURL';
mongoose.connect(mongoDB, { useNewUrlParser: true, useUnifiedTopology: true });
var db = mongoose.connection;
db.on('error', console.error.bind(console, 'MongoDB connection error:'));
// view engine setup
app.set('views', path.join(__dirname, 'views'));
app.set('view engine', 'ejs');
app.use(logger('dev'));
app.use(express.json());
app.use(express.urlencoded({ extended: false }));
app.use(cookieParser());
app.use('/result', resultRouter);
app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'build')));
app.get('/', function (req, res) {
res.sendFile(path.resolve(__dirname, 'build', 'index.html'));
});
app.get('*', function (req, res) {
res.sendFile(path.resolve(__dirname, 'build', 'index.html'));
});
// catch 404 and forward to error handler
app.use(function (req, res, next) {
next(createError(404));
});
// error handler
app.use(function (err, req, res, next) {
// set locals, only providing error in development
res.locals.message = err.message;
res.locals.error = req.app.get('env') === 'development' ? err : {};
// render the error page
res.status(err.status || 500);
res.render('error');
});
module.exports = app;
While I am sure this is the correct solution in general, I fail to implement it. The app.js file lays in the api folder. Before uploading it to Plesk, I insert the build folder from react inside. So app.js and the build folder are on the same level of the directory.
After the upload via git, I have both the document root as well as the application root set to configurator/api. Configurator is just an empty folder I set up beforehand.
If I set document root to configurator/api/build, the starting page of my react index.html file gets displayed. But routing to any other react component doesnt work.
What do I do wrong here? Also I have enabled "browsing for a domain", but still get a 504 Gateway Timeout Error.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction or has some input as to where I should look next.
Thanks in advance