I'm creating a parser in Haskell for a simple language. The parser takes a list of tokens, generated by a separate tokenizer, and turns it into a structured tree. While I was writing this Parser, I came across a reoccurring pattern that I would like to generalize. Here are the relevant definitions:
--Parser Definition
data Parser a b = Parser { runParser :: [a] -> Maybe ([a], b) }
--Token Definition
data Token = TokOp { getTokOp :: Operator }
| TokInt { getTokInt :: Int }
| TokIdent { getTokIdent :: String }
| TokAssign
| TokLParen
| TokRParen
deriving (Eq, Show)
The parser also has instances defined for MonadPlus and all of its super classes. Here are two examples of the reoccurring Pattern I am trying to generalize:
-- Identifier Parser
identP :: Parser Token String
identP = Parser $ \input -> case input of
TokIdent s : rest -> Just (rest, s)
_ -> Nothing
--Integer Parser
intP :: Parser Token Int
intP = Parser $ \input -> case input of
TokInt n : rest -> Just (rest, n)
_ -> Nothing
As you can see, these two examples are incredibly similar, yet I see no way generalize it. Ideally I would want some function of type extractToken :: ?? -> Parser Token a where a is the value contained by the token. I am guessing the solution involves >>=, but I am not experienced enough with Monads to figure it out. This also may be impossible, I am not sure.