I have a mass pandas DataFrame df:
year count
1983 5
1983 4
1983 7
...
2009 8
2009 11
2009 30
and I aim to sample 10 data points per year 100 times and get the mean and standard deviation of count per year. The signs of the count values are determined randomly.
I want to randomly sample 10 data per year, which can be done by:
new_df = pd.DataFrame(columns=['year', 'count'])
ref = df.year.unique()
for i in range(len(ref)):
appended_df = df[df['year'] == ref[i]].sample(n=10)
new_df = pd.concat([new_df,appended_df])
Then, I assign a sign to count randomly (so that by random chance the count could be positive or negative) and rename it to value, which can be done by:
vlist = []
for i in range(len(new_df)):
if randint(0,1) == 0:
vlist.append(new_df.count.iloc[i])
else:
vlist.append(new_df.count.iloc[i] * -1)
new_data['value'] = vlist
Getting a mean and standard deviation per each year is quite simple:
xdf = new_data.groupby("year").agg([np.mean, np.std]).reset_index()
But I can't seem to find an optimal way to try this sampling 100 times per year, store the mean values, and get the mean and standard deviation of those 100 means per year. I could think of using for loop, but it would take too much of a runtime.
Essentially, the output should be in the form of the following (the values are arbitrary here):
year mean_of_100_means total_sd
1983 4.22 0.43
1984 -6.39 1.25
1985 2.01 0.04
...
2007 11.92 3.38
2008 -5.27 1.67
2009 1.85 0.99
Any insights would be appreciated.