Special Characters (German Umlauts) in Blazor manifest.json?

Viewed 323

so I want to create a Microsoft Teams App using Visual Studio 2019, Teams Toolkit and Blazor, and I'm having a hard time getting Unicode Characters (German Umlaute ä, ö, and ü) to show up in my manifest.json - or rather in the Teams App Description page. I'm also pretty new at developing with Blazor and JSON.

I've tried the HTML-style ö but this just gets passed right through.
I've tried the "\u00f6" but then it just shows up as "?".

How do i get Unicode characters into my manifest? Anything I'm missing? Do I have to switch to a different encoding? Where do I even see what type of encoding is being used?

manifest.json:

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/json-schemas/teams/v1.9/MicrosoftTeams.schema.json",
  "manifestVersion": "1.9",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "localizationInfo": {
    "defaultLanguageTag": "de"
  },
  "developer": {
    "name": "Römer R\u00f6mer",
...

is displayed as:

Created by: R?mer R?mer

Any suggestions of what I'm missing?

EDIT So as a few answers have suggested, I've tried saving the manifest.json in a different encoding (ANSI, UTF-8) but nothing works. It seems to me that Microsoft Teams is somehow not interpreting the manifest correctly. Which is weird, because the Description Page of some other apps include Umlauts and they are displayed correctly.

3 Answers

You can use Notepad++ to check and also change the encoding of a text file.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

As a developer from Austria, who also has to fight with umlauts, I would recommend to change the encoding of the file.

You can change the encoding in Notepad++: Menu bar -> encoding/

EDIT: But by the way, I think that umlauts and special characters etc. should not be used in manifest files or source code files.

In VS you can use File/Save {your file} As...

then select to change the encoding in the drop down for the Save button

enter image description here

The docs say UTF-8 without BOM

enter image description here

We are able to repro the issue. We have raised a bug for this issue, concerned engineering team is working on it.

Related