I have multiple locks that lock different parts of my API.
To lock any method I do something like this :
import threading
class DoSomething:
def __init__():
self.lock = threading.Lock()
def run(self):
with self.lock:
# do stuff requiring lock here
And for most use cases this works just fine.
But, I am unsure if what I am doing when requiring multiple locks works or not :
import threading
class DoSomething:
def __init__():
self.lock_database = threading.Lock()
self.lock_logger = threading.Lock()
def run(self):
with self.lock_database and self.lock_logger:
# do stuff requiring lock here
As it is, the code runs just fine but I am unsure if it runs as I want it to.
My question is : are the locks being obtained simultaneously or is the first one acquired and only then the second is also acquired.
Is my previous code as follows ?
with self.lock1:
with self.lock2:
# do stuff here
As it is, the code currently works but, since the chances of my threads requiring the same lock simultaneously is extremely low to begin with, I may end up with a massive headache to debug later
I am asking the question as I am very uncertain on how to test my code to ensure that it is working as intended and am equally interested in having the answer and knowing how I can test it to ensure that it works ( and not end up with the end users testing it for me )