I often have to run my data through a function if the data fulfill certain criteria. Typically, both the function f and the criteria checker pred are parameterized to the data. For this reason, I find myself wishing for a higher-order if-then-else which knows neither f nor pred.
For example, assume I want to add 10 to all even integers in (range 5). Instead of
(map #(if (even? %) (+ % 10) %) (range 5))
I would prefer to have a helper –let's call it fork– and do this:
(map (fork even? #(+ % 10)) (range 5))
I could go ahead and implement fork as function. It would look like this:
(defn fork
([pred thenf elsef]
#(if (pred %) (thenf %) (elsef %)))
([pred thenf]
(fork pred thenf identity)))
Can this be done by elegantly combining core functions? Some nice chain of juxt / apply / some maybe?
Alternatively, do you know any Clojure library which implements the above (or similar)?