I would like to create a degree correlation matrix for a network, where the columns and rows capture the degrees of the network. I am not looking for a global measure--like assortativity_degree(), but an actual correlation matrix, where each element in the matrix is the number of edges that exist in the graph for nodes with degree = whatever and degree = whatever. I have dug around in the igraph documentation and Googled but nothing quite gets to what I want. I have cobbled together the following, which seems to work, but I'm wondering if there is a more straightforward method that I'm ignorant. I don't think what I'm after is so esoteric that no one else has thought about it--and perhaps there is a function in igraph or the like and I just don't quite know what it's called.
library(igraph)
#>
#> Attaching package: 'igraph'
#> The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':
#>
#> decompose, spectrum
#> The following object is masked from 'package:base':
#>
#> union
g <- make_graph("Zachary")
x <- sort(unique(degree(g))) # vector of all degrees in the network
y <- sort(unique(degree(g))) # vector for all degrees in the network
datalist = list()
# this loop creates a vector that identifies the number of
# edges that occur between nodes of degree whatever and degree whatever
for(i in y) {
row <- mapply(function(x)
{length(E(g)[V(g)[degree(g) == i] %--% V(g)[degree(g) == x]])},
x)
datalist[[i]] <- row
}
# takes the data list created in the previous for loop and row bind it into a
# matrix
m = do.call(rbind, datalist)
# label rows and columns with the relevatn degree
rownames(m) <- unique(sort(degree(g)))
colnames(m) <- unique(sort(degree(g)))
m
#> 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 12 16 17
#> 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
#> 2 0 0 0 3 0 1 2 1 5 3 7
#> 3 0 0 2 3 1 3 1 1 0 3 2
#> 4 0 3 3 1 3 1 2 2 2 3 3
#> 5 0 0 1 3 0 1 1 2 2 2 3
#> 6 0 1 3 1 1 0 1 1 1 2 1
#> 9 0 2 1 2 1 1 0 1 0 1 0
#> 10 0 1 1 2 2 1 1 0 1 1 0
#> 12 0 5 0 2 2 1 0 1 0 0 1
#> 16 1 3 3 3 2 2 1 1 0 0 0
#> 17 0 7 2 3 3 1 0 0 1 0 0
Created on 2021-06-19 by the reprex package (v2.0.0)