I'm using Codable for my WebRequest response which is returning some predefined string or number. So, I'm using Enums for those. But when some unexpected value arrive to Response at that my Codable fails to decode.
Here some code for better understanding.
class WebUser: Codable, Equatable {
static func == (lhs: WebUser, rhs: WebUser) -> Bool {
return lhs.id == rhs.id
}
...
var mobileNumberPrivacy: CommonPrivacyOption?
var emailPrivacy: CommonPrivacyOption?
var dobPrivacy: CommonPrivacyOption?
...
}
enum CommonPrivacyOption: Int, CaseIterable, Codable {
case privacyOnlyMe = 1, privacyPublic, privacyFriends, privacyFriendsOfFriends
//Does not help this optional init function
/*init?(rawValue: Int) {
switch rawValue {
case 1: self = .privacyOnlyMe
case 2: self = .privacyPublic
case 3: self = .privacyFriends
case 4: self = .privacyFriendsOfFriends
default: return nil
}
}*/
}
but sometimes from WebServer I'm getting, 0 for dobPrivacy at that time I'm getting DecodingError.dataCorrupted exception with context Cannot initialize CommonPrivacyOption from invalid Int value 0
As I expect to dobPrivacy nil when I get other values then 1/2/3/4.
EDIT:
let dict1 = [
"id": 2,
"mobileNumberPrivacy": 3,
"emailPrivacy": 4,
"dobPrivacy": 0 // Works perfectly with 1
]
do {
let data1 = try JSONSerialization.data(withJSONObject: dict1, options: .prettyPrinted)
let user1 = try JSONDecoder().decode(WebUser.self, from: data1)
print("User1 created")
}
catch DecodingError.dataCorrupted(let context) {
print(context.codingPath)
print(context.debugDescription)
}
catch {
print(error.localizedDescription)
}
I'm using this same Codable WebUser object for Profile detail, search users and many more. so may be some times one more key will not present in WebRequest's response.