Is cylinder target tracking possible with ARKit?

Viewed 235

I want to place my 3d models onto a cylinder object, and when I rotate the object, the model should rotate along with it. Is this possible with Apple ARKit?

I tried Image Tracking Configuration, using a long image wrapped around my object, but it didn't seem to work (ARKit did not recognize the image).

2 Answers

Technically it's possible (it's not easy), but a tracking of cylindrical objects (like bottles or vases) is not ARKit's greatest strength. You'll have to additionally implement CoreImage and Vision techniques. Pay attention to the fact that only five types of anchors in ARKit conform to ARTrackable protocol. These are:

  • ARAppClipCodeAnchor
  • ARBodyAnchor
  • ARFaceAnchor
  • ARGeoAnchor
  • ARImageAnchor

As you can see, there's no ARObjectAnchor in the list. And you have to consider that only objects with fine-perceptible textures are acceptable.

Use PTC Vuforia to get a considerably better results with cylinder targets.

Related