Still new to laravel, learning how the $request interacts with create.
here is my form for two of my variables for context:
<form method="POST" id="postForm">
{{-- @csrf --}}
<input type="hidden" id="id_hidden" name="id" />
<div class="form-group">
<label for="title"> Title <span class="text-danger">*</span></label>
<input type="text" name="title" id="title" class="form-control">
</div>
<div class="form-group">
<label for="category_description"> Description <span class="text-danger">*</span></label>
<textarea name="category_description" id="category_description" class="form-control"></textarea>
</div>
</form>
controller:
public function store(Request $request)
{
$request->validate([
'title' => 'required',
'category_description' => 'required',
]);
$post = HmsBbrCategory::create($request->all());
if(!is_null($post)) {
return response()->json(["status" => "success", "message" => "Success! post created.", "data" => $post]);
}
else {
return response()->json(["status" => "failed", "message" => "Alert! post not created"]);
}
}
model:
protected $table = 'hms_bbr_category';
protected $fillable = [
"category_id", "title", "category_description", "category_description_2"
];
my title and category_description is inserting fine with an auto incremented id column. What I am trying to do is just to add 2 columns: category_id and category_description_2 that just copies the value inserted by id and category_description
Question:
how does 'required' retrieve the data from the form? I would like to have the same data thats taken and adding it to my two new columns. I am aware that I cannot just simple add 'category_description_2' => 'required',because this won't get an existing data.
so basically
$id = id
$category_id = id
$title = title
$category_description = category_description
$category_description_2 = category_description
Here is my table for reference. This form was given to me and I want to understand to know more about Laravel, thanks for reading and I hope I can get some suggestions on what to add.