I have a Spring Boot REST API that I'm building. Im slightly stuck on the correct way to design my API in a way that protects each individual users' data. For example, consider the following database relations:
User -> (Has Many) Projects -> (Has Many) Tasks. (A User has-many Projects, and a Project has-many tasks).
For example, if I design my endpoints in the following way:
GET /api/v1/projects/{projectId}
POST /api/v1/projects/{projectId}/tasks
Just as a simple example for the above, how can I make sure, when creating new tasks for a certain project, that the project belongs to the logged in user?
Currently, I am using JWT tokens via Spring Security as my authentication strategy, and included in the payload of the token I have my Users' id. So with every request I can retrieve the user, but surely that's incredibly inefficient to be making so many requests to the database and check if the user actually has a given project.
Some solution I was thinking about is to simply have endpoints designed like this:
/api/v1/users/{userId}/projects/{projectId}/tasks
And then I can use the user id in the JWT payload and compare it to the user id in the request parameter. But then that would mean with every new relation in my database, the length of the url is going to be massive :) Also I guess it would mean all the business logic would be inside the User service for the whole application, right? Which seems a little odd to me... but maybe I'm wrong.
Im not sure if thats an issue or not, but just trying to design the API to be as elegant as possible.
Thanks again!