Ant's echo-task and line-wraping

Viewed 98

We need to echo some fairly long strings, and the ant-script would look better with the lines wrapped.

<echo file="my.log">Really loooong line, that needs to appear without line breaks in the output, but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script</echo>

In general line-wrapping in XML is up to the application -- so my question is specific to the ant-application. Can I add line-breaks somehow to the above example, yet still have each line appear unbroken in the output?

(Escaping the newlines with the backslash (\) does not work...)

1 Answers

Put the string in a property, line-broken as you see fit, then use that property in the echo task.

Something like this:

<property name="string" value="Really loooong line,
that needs to appear without line breaks in the output,
but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script." />    
<echo>${string}</echo>

Produces this output:

[echo] Really loooong line, that needs to appear without line breaks in the output, but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script.

As opposed to:

<echo>Really loooong line,
that needs to appear without line breaks in the output,
but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script.</echo>

Which produces

[echo] Really loooong line,
[echo] that needs to appear without line breaks in the output,
[echo] but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script.

Or put the string in the message parameters instead, which also works:

<echo message="Really loooong line,
that needs to appear without line breaks in the output,
but which I'd still like to wrap in the ant-script." />
Related