I want to reproduce this shell behaviour with a small c program:
< file cmd1 | cmd2
So it takes three arguments and can be executed this way for exemple:
./a.out foo /bin/cat /usr/bin/wc
Here's my code, without error checking:
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
static void exe_cmd(char *cmd, char **env)
{
int pid;
char *av[] = {cmd, NULL};
pid = fork();
if (pid == 0)
{
execve(av[0], av, env);
exit(0);
}
waitpid(pid, NULL, 0);
}
static void left_pipe_side(int fd[2], char *cmd, char *path, char **env)
{
int file;
file = open(path, O_RDONLY);
dup2(fd[1], STDOUT_FILENO); // Can be commented out to see the first command output
dup2(file, STDIN_FILENO);
close(fd[0]);
close(fd[1]);
close(file);
exe_cmd(cmd, env);
}
static void right_pipe_side(int fd[2], char *cmd, char **env)
{
dup2(fd[0], STDIN_FILENO);
close(fd[1]);
close(fd[0]);
exe_cmd(cmd, env);
}
int main(int ac, char **av, char **env)
{
int fd[2];
pid_t pid;
pid = fork();
pipe(fd);
if (pid == 0)
{
left_pipe_side(fd, av[2], av[1], env);
exit(0);
}
right_pipe_side(fd, av[3], env);
waitpid(pid, NULL, 0);
return (0);
}
My problem is that the output of wc as the second command will always be 0 0 0, as if the input were empty (but the given file contains text).
If I comment out the line where I dup fd[1] to stdout in the left pipe side, the first command will output correctly, so I don't understand why the redirection makes this data "disappear"