I have an array of structures as a function parameter and the size of the array is dynamic. My coworker said that I'll have to use a double pointer since the values contained in the array of struct will be overwritten.
The parameter that will become a double pointer is the following :
xPIDConfig_t **pxPIDConfig
Here is what the structure looks like for the xPIDConfig_t :
typedef struct
{
ePIDType_t ePIDType;
/* Common fields for the different types of PID */
float fLowerSaturationLimit;
float fUpperSaturationLimit;
float fOldInput;
float fIError;
uint32_t ulDeltaTime;
eBool_t bSaturationEnable;
eBool_t bAntiWindupEnable;
eBool_t bNegativeErrorEmptyIError;
union
{
/* Parallel PID fields */
struct
{
float fProportionalGain;
float fIntegralGain;
float fDerivativeGain;
}xParallelPID;
/* Non-interactive PID fields */
struct
{
float fControllerGain;
uint32_t ulIntegralTime;
uint32_t ulDerivativeTime;
}xNonInteractivePID;
}xUniqueFields;
}xPIDConfig_t;
The size of the array of pxPIDConfig will vary.
But I am not sure how to malloc that double pointer or even how to use the function containing the double pointer.
I was just wondering if anyone had a good example of code of how to use a function with a double pointer array of variating size? and how to properly change the values contained in the array itself inside a function?
Right now this is how I change the values within the function :
pxPIDConfig->ePIDType = ePIDType;
pxPIDConfig->fOldInput = 0;
pxPIDConfig->fIError = 0;
pxPIDConfig->ulDeltaTime = ulDeltaTime;
pxPIDConfig->bSaturationEnable = bIsSaturationEnable;
pxPIDConfig->bAntiWindupEnable = bIsAntiWindupEnable;
pxPIDConfig->bNegativeErrorEmptyIError = bNegativeErrorEmptyIError;
when the pointer is double do I have to use double '->'? This is very confusing for me.
Thank you all for the help
/***************** EDIT ************************************
My function is working right now, but I got told I need to use memory allocation since the size of my arrays varies according to the number of loops I want to implement.
Here are the parameters of my function :
eError_t eControlCascadeInit( uint8_t ucNumberOfLoops, ePIDType_t *pePIDType, xPIDConfig_t **pxPIDConfig, float *pfLowerLimit, float *pfUpperLimit, uint32_t *pulDeltaTime, \
eBool_t *pbIsSaturationEnable, eBool_t *pbIsAntiWindupEnable, eBool_t *pbNegativeErrorEmptyIError, \
float *pfPGain, float *pfIGain, float *pfDGain, float *pfCGain, uint32_t *pulITime, uint32_t *pulDTime )
They're all arrays of size ucNumberOfLoops. All of them are read-only arrays, except for the pxPIDConfig one that is write-only. The function initializes all the xPIDConfig_t present in the array with the parameters passed to the function through array.
array[ 0 ] contains the parameters for the first PID controller being initialized.
array[ 1 ] contains the parameters for the second PID controller being initialized and so on...
It's like that for all the parameters in the function.
Hope it makes my question more clear?