How to update node version on Google Cloud Shell

Viewed 1336

I'm using Google Cloud Shell, and the default node version is 12.14.1. Is there an easy way to update the node version to 14.x or 16.x?

node seems to be installed with nvm

$ which node
/usr/local/nvm/versions/node/v12.14.1/bin/node
3 Answers

Apparently one can simply use nvm command to change the version. When I tried:

nvm install 14

I was upgraded to 14. I think I can install/change my node versions as desired.

nvm isn't a file, but a bash function and is exposed via /google/devshell/bashrc.google.d/nvm.

This script is sourced by default by /google/devshell/bashrc.google. However, I inadvertently commented out these lines, which disabled it

if [ -f "/google/devshell/bashrc.google" ]; then
  source /google/devshell/bashrc.google
fi

For anyone who's curious, those lines are put in there by /etc/profile.d/restore_bashrc.sh.

If you ran into a similar issue and want to fix it manually, you can add the following lines to your .bashrc

for FILE in /google/devshell/bashrc.google.d/*; do
  if [ -f "$FILE" ]; then
    source "$FILE"
  fi
done

Dec, 2021 Update:

enter image description here

This installs the latest LTS version:

nvm install 16.13.1

If you don't mind the specific version:

nvm install 16

In addition, this installs the latest Current version:

nvm install 17.3.0

If you don't mind the specific version:

nvm install 17
Related