I have this table in postgres
CREATE TABLE target (
a json
b integer
c text []
id integer
CONSTRAINT id_fkey FOREIGN KEY (id)
REFERENCES public.other_table(id) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE NO ACTION
ON DELETE NO ACTION,
)
Which I would like to insert data to from psycopg2 using
import psycopg2
import psycopg2.extras as extras
# data is of the form dict, integer, list(string), string <- used to get fkey id
data = [[extras.Json([{'a':1,'b':2}, {'d':3,'e':2}]), 1, ['hello', 'world'], 'ident1'],
[extras.Json([{'a':4,'b':3}, {'d':1,'e':9}]), 5, ['hello2', 'world2'], 'ident2']]
# convert data to list of tuples containing objects
x = [tuple(u) for u in data]
# insert data to the database
query = ('WITH ins (a, b, c, ident) AS '
'(VALUES %s) '
'INSERT INTO target (a, b, c, id) '
'SELECT '
'ins.a '
'ins.b '
'ins.c '
'other_table.id'
'FROM '
'ins '
'LEFT JOIN other_table ON ins.ident = other_table.ident;')
cursor = conn.cursor()
extras.execute_values(cursor, query, x)
When I run this I get the error: column "a" is of type json but expression is of type text. I tried to solve this by adding a type cast in the SELECT statement but then I got the same error for c and then for b.
Originally I thought the problem lies in the WITH statement but based on the answers to my previous question this seems to not be the case Postgres `WITH ins AS ...` casting everything as text
It seems that execute_values is sending all the values as text with ' '.
Main Question: How can I get execute_values to send the values based on their python data type rather than just as text?
Sub questions:
How can I confirm that execute_values is in fact sending the values as text with quotation marks?
What is the purpose of the template argument of execute_values https://www.psycopg.org/docs/extras.html and could that be of help?