Selenium cant locate element inside ::before ::after

Viewed 470

Element to be located

Element to be located

I am trying to locate a span element inside a webpage, I have tried by XPath but its raise timeout error, I want to locate title span element inside Facebook marketplace product. url

here is my code :

def title_detector():
    title = WebDriverWait(driver, 10).until(
        EC.presence_of_element_located((By.XPATH, 'path'))).text
    list_data = title.split("ISBN", 1)
2 Answers

Try this xpath //span[contains(text(),'isbn')]

You can't locate pseudo elements with XPath, only with CSS selector.
I see it's FaceBook with it's ugly class names...
I'm not sure this will work for you, maybe these class names are dynamic, but it worked for me this time.
Anyway, the css_locator for that span element is .dati1w0a.qt6c0cv9.hv4rvrfc.discj3wi .d2edcug0.hpfvmrgz.qv66sw1b.c1et5uql.lr9zc1uh.a8c37x1j.keod5gw0.nxhoafnm.aigsh9s9.qg6bub1s.fe6kdd0r.mau55g9w.c8b282yb.iv3no6db.o0t2es00.f530mmz5.hnhda86s.oo9gr5id
So, since we are trying to get it's before we can do it with the following JavaScript script:

span_locator = `.dati1w0a.qt6c0cv9.hv4rvrfc.discj3wi .d2edcug0.hpfvmrgz.qv66sw1b.c1et5uql.lr9zc1uh.a8c37x1j.keod5gw0.nxhoafnm.aigsh9s9.qg6bub1s.fe6kdd0r.mau55g9w.c8b282yb.iv3no6db.o0t2es00.f530mmz5.hnhda86s.oo9gr5id`
script = "return window.getComputedStyle(document.querySelector('{}'),':before').getPropertyValue('content')".format(span_locator)
print(driver.execute_script(script).strip())

In case the css selector above not working since the class names are dynamic there - try to locate that span with some stable css_locator, it is possible. Just have to try it several times until you see which class names are stable and which are not.

UPD:
You don't need to locate the pseudo elements there, will be enough to catch that span itself. So, it will be enough something like this:

span_locator = `.dati1w0a.qt6c0cv9.hv4rvrfc.discj3wi .d2edcug0.hpfvmrgz.qv66sw1b.c1et5uql.lr9zc1uh.a8c37x1j.keod5gw0.nxhoafnm.aigsh9s9.qg6bub1s.fe6kdd0r.mau55g9w.c8b282yb.iv3no6db.o0t2es00.f530mmz5.hnhda86s.oo9gr5id`
def title_detector():
    title = WebDriverWait(driver, 10).until(
        EC.presence_of_element_located((By.CSS_SELECTOR, 'span_locator'))).text
    title = title.strip()
    list_data = title.split("ISBN", 1)
Related