WhatsApp cannot detect local backup file

Viewed 24448

I did a backup for my messages then uninstalled WhatsApp. The next day, I reinstalled it for a quick thing and it restored locally without problems then I uninstalled it again. 2 weeks later, when I tried to install WhatsApp, it never detected my local backup msgstore.db.crypt14. It directly prompted me to restore from Google Drive no matter what I did!

Here is what I have done:

1- I have transferred WhatsApp files to Sdcard and still didn't work.

2- I have disconnected WhatsApp from Google Drive; however, it forced me to give permissions to backup from Google Drive when installing.

3- I have installed WhatsApp again and went to phone settings to give it all permissions such as storage, but it still wanted to have the backup from Google Drive.

4- I have deleted all my google accounts from my phone, and still, WhatsApp asked for Google Drive.

What did I miss? I am confused that it restored the backup locally before and refused later. What should I do? Are there any solutions?

3 Answers

As a new user I'm not allowed to answer and upvote Merlin Behling's answer, but his solution worked perfectly for me (@Merlin: for better comprehension I will tell the solution again in my own words and if I've earned enough reputation, I'll upvote your answer)!

First of all, the backup function in Whatsapp is actually broken. Currently, Whatsapp will never detect your local backup by default. Anyway, it is possible to restore your local backup:

  1. Copy the files (msgstore.db.crypt14, msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt14...) in <internal_storage>/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Databases from your old Android smartphone (on Android 11 or older: sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases)
  2. Create the path <internal_storage>/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Databases (on Android 11 or older: sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases) on your new Android smartphone and paste the copied files there
  3. Install Whatsapp via Google Play Store on your new smartphone
  4. Open Whatsapp and verify your phone numer (you have to use the same number as on your old smartphone)
  5. When it asked you to grant access to your files for Google drive, ignore the message and instead close the app (press □ and wipe Whatsapp away)
  6. Activate airplane mode
  7. Open Whatsapp again and wait until you see the message that scanning is taking longer than usual. Press "skip" (don't know the English word, I'm also using Whatsapp in german) and in the new message also press "skip"
  8. You should now see your local backup, press "restore backup"
  9. Disable airplane mode and activate Wifi
  10. Ignore the message regarding Google Drive and, when your backup has been restored (look at the progress bar at the bottom in the background), close the app
  11. Open Whatsapp again and you should see now your old and new messages alltogether!

PS: I've already sent a mail to Whatsapp support regarding this problem ...Hopefully they'll fix the problem for the technically inexperienced people

Update 03.06.2021: I had a long correspondence with the Whatsapp support team, but they did not understand the problem. Although I described the problem several times in detail, they sent me the same generic answers that completely missed the point. Too bad...

Same issue here.

I finally solved it by installing an older version of the software (2.21.8.17, downloaded from https://www.apkmirror.com) and then following the "registration wizard". It found the local backup and was able to restore it. I then enabled the backup to Google Drive and updated the software to the latest version using the play store.

I had the same problem (German Student here).

Follow the normal steps... Then when it comes to first opening WhatsApp after the reinstall: Open App with normal Internet etc. Verfiy by Code (sms/Telephon) After Verifikation when it wants to Google drive you:close The App completly Turn on airplane Mode Open App Wait for it to search for Backup After about 1 minute it says: "no Internet good connecion, do you want to retry or continue? Press continue Then it finds your local Backup Wait until it shows how big The local Backup is Press restore Backup Turn Internet back on but absolutely dont press anything on the soon appearing Pop up Just watch The loading Bar in the background at the bottom As soon as it says finished in the background close The app completly Reopen The App and you are golden :)

Related