I'm trying to create a simple CUDA project via CMake and getting strange compilation errors. I'm following this tutorial. Originally, I was using Visual Studio 2019 Community, CMake 3.18.3, and CUDA 11.3 and everything worked fine. Then, I updated to Visual Studio 2019 Professional and CMake 3.20.3, and it failed to compile the same exact same source code.
Here's my entire CMakeLists file:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.18.3)
project(hello_world LANGUAGES CXX CUDA)
add_executable(hello_world_target main.cu)
target_compile_features(hello_world_target PUBLIC cxx_std_11)
set_target_properties(hello_world_target PROPERTIES CUDA_SEPARABLE_COMPILATION ON)
set_target_properties(hello_world_target PROPERTIES CUDA_ARCHITECTURES "52")
Here's my only source file, main.cu:
#include <iostream>
int main(){
std::cout << "Hello, world!" << std::endl;
return 0;
}
When I try to compile, I get the following errors:
1>Compiling CUDA source file ..\main.cu...
1>
1>C:\Users\[username]\Documents\hello_cmake\build>"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.3\bin\nvcc.exe" -gencode=arch=compute_52,code=\"compute_52,compute_52\" -gencode=arch=compute_52,code=\"sm_52,compute_52\" --use-local-env -ccbin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\bin\HostX64\x64" -x cu -rdc=true -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.3\include" --keep-dir x64\Debug -maxrregcount=0 --machine 64 --compile -cudart static -std=c++14 -Xcompiler="/EHsc -Zi -Ob0" -g -D_WINDOWS -D"CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" -D"CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" -D_MBCS -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W1 /nologo /Od /Fdhello_world_target.dir\Debug\vc142.pdb /FS /Zi /RTC1 /MDd /GR" -o hello_world_target.dir\Debug\main.obj "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\hello_cmake\main.cu"
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xutility(1309): error : expected a "("
1> detected during instantiation of "void std::_Adl_verify_range(const _Iter &, const _Sentinel &) [with _Iter=const char *, _Sentinel=const char *]"
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xlocale(1990): here
1>
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xutility(1309): error : expected a "("
1> detected during instantiation of "void std::_Adl_verify_range(const _Iter &, const _Sentinel &) [with _Iter=__wchar_t *, _Sentinel=__wchar_t *]"
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xlocale(1991): here
1>
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xutility(1309): error : expected a "("
1> detected during instantiation of "void std::_Adl_verify_range(const _Iter &, const _Sentinel &) [with _Iter=const __wchar_t *, _Sentinel=const __wchar_t *]"
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include\xlocale(2026): here
.....etc., etc., etc.....
31 errors detected in the compilation of "C:/Users/[username]/Documents/hello_cmake/main.cu".
1>main.cu
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\BuildCustomizations\CUDA 11.3.targets(785,9): error MSB3721: The command ""C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.3\bin\nvcc.exe" -gencode=arch=compute_52,code=\"compute_52,compute_52\" -gencode=arch=compute_52,code=\"sm_52,compute_52\" --use-local-env -ccbin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\bin\HostX64\x64" -x cu -rdc=true -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.3\include" --keep-dir x64\Debug -maxrregcount=0 --machine 64 --compile -cudart static -std=c++14 -Xcompiler="/EHsc -Zi -Ob0" -g -D_WINDOWS -D"CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" -D"CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" -D_MBCS -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W1 /nologo /Od /Fdhello_world_target.dir\Debug\vc142.pdb /FS /Zi /RTC1 /MDd /GR" -o hello_world_target.dir\Debug\main.obj "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\hello_cmake\main.cu"" exited with code 1.
1>Done building project "hello_world_target.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
What's perplexing is that this worked fine with the different versions of Visual Studio and CMake. Also, if I rewrite the CMakeLists.txt file to remove CUDA from the LANGUAGES list, and change main.cu to main.cpp, everything works fine.
It's also confusing that the compiler would complain about the xutility, xmemory, and atomic files. That sounds like a red herring, though.
What could be causing this issue?
UPDATE 10/20/2021: For me, VS2019 16.11.5 works fine with CUDA 11.4.120 and CMake 3.21.3, no modifications needed.