How are rvalues assigned to lvalues in assembly?

Viewed 158

First question here. I will in a few weeks/months need to create procedural code in which there will be functions assigning big (I mean really big) sets of data directly to pointers. Here is some example of code I will be doing :

void MyFuntion(string* str)
{
     *str = "some data in a string";
}

As it surely is important : I am on windows 10, in visual-studio 2019, compiling with the default c++ compiler on release x86.

Imagine something like this but with strings that can contain several millions of characters, or with int/float arrays also with several millions of elements. So, this is a single operation assigning a rvalue to a pointer, which is therefore on the heap. Of course, if I create a local variable containing the data, it will be more than 1MB and therefore will cause a stack overflow, right ?

As I understand, since the data only exists as a rvalue here, it doesn't have a memory existence, but I would like to know : how is the rvalue assigned to the pointer ? Like, how is it done in assembly ? I must say I have never done any assembly, I have a few (very few) notions but I'd like to get into it when I have time.

Is it temporary created in the stack or heap before being put in the final memory address ? My guess is that the memory address (the pointer in which I am assigning the data) is directly filled with the data, like, bit by bit, so no existence of the rvalue in memory.

If I'm correct, the only things that exist in the stack here are : the function call, the pointer copy, then the instruction, which should be something like "assign rvalue X to lvalue Y" and the size of the instruction doesn't depend on the size of the rvalue and lvalue, so there should not be any problem regarding the stack here.

So, if I'm correct, this code should not cause any problem, no matter how big the rvalue is, but I would still like to know how it is done exactly, assembly-wise. Note that I am not only looking for an answer, but more like some references, books or docs, that could explain in detail. I guess what I am looking for won't be in a c++ book, but more like a assembly book, this might be a good starting point to get myself into it !

1 Answers

Although a specific OS and compiler were mentioned, the example assembly in this answer will probably differ from what the querent's compiler would output, because I don't have a Windows 10 machine available at the time of writing and used a different environment having forgotten about Godbolt. However, this topic is general enough in my opinion that it shouldn't really matter in this specific case.


What even is a value on the right side of an assignment operator? What does assignment look like at the assembly level? Here's a simple example.

void assign_thing(int *p) {
    *p = 42;
}
movl $42, (%rdi)
retq

"Move the 32-bit integer 42 into the memory location to which rdi is pointing." %rdi here represents p, and (%rdi) means *p. For something dead simple like an integer, it's pretty much that simple. How about a simple structure?

struct stuff {
    int id;
    float value;
    char text[8];
};

void assign_thing(stuff *p) {
    *p = {42, 1.5, "Hello!"};
}
movabsq $4593671619917905962, %rax
movq    %rax, (%rdi)
movabsq $36762444129608, %rax
movq    %rax, 8(%rdi)
retq

A little harder to read at first glance, but pretty much the same idea. The compiler was smart and packed the integer and float values 42 and 1.5 into a single 64-bit value and stuffs that directly into (%rdi). Likewise with the string "Hello!", which is short enough to fit into a single 64-bit value and gets stuffed into 8(%rdi) (8 bytes past p is the offset of text).


So far, none of the rvalues actually exist in memory when they get assigned. They're just part of the instructions. What if it's something a lot bigger, like a string?

// Overflow checking omitted for brevity.
void assign_thing(char *p) {
    // Assignment with = doesn't actually do what you'd want here,
    // so this'll have to do.
    strcpy(p, "What if it's something a lot bigger, like a string?");
}
vmovups -5484(%rip), %ymm0
vmovups %ymm0, 20(%rdi) ; I'm guessing the disassembler meant to say 0x20
vmovups -5517(%rip), %ymm0
vmovups %ymm0, (%rdi)
vzeroupper
retq

Now, the rvalue does reside in memory when it gets assigned. Do note that this is not because strcpy was used instead of =, but because the compiler decided that it would be better to store that "rvalue" string somewhere in a read-only area like .rodata and just copy it over. If I had used a much shorter string, any reasonably modern compiler would probably optimize it into a few mov or movabsq instructions like in the second example. Unless p points to a buffer on the stack and your strcpy ends up overflowing it, you won't get a stack overflow here.


Now what about your example? I'm guessing that your string type is really std::string, and that's not a trivial type. So what happens there? In C++, the assignment operator = is overloadable, and std::string indeed has its own overloads, so instead of directly stuffing or copying values into the object, a special member function operator= is called. That is to say, your *str = "some data in a string" is really a str->operator=("some data in a string"). How your rvalue string gets copied is up to the implementation of std::string::operator=, but it'll most likely be optimized into something like my last example. The actual string data of an std::string resides on the heap, so stack overflow still isn't a problem here.


tl;dr (this answer + the comments, compressed into a few sentences)

If your string is small enough, it probably won't exist in memory during assignment. If it's big enough, it'll sit in a read-only area somewhere and get copied over when needed. The stack is often not even involved, so don't worry about overflow.

Related