I would like to share data (in the simplest case an array of integers) between C and Haskell using Haskell's FFI functionality. The C side creates the data (allocating memory accordingly), but never modifies it until it is freed, so I thought the following method would be "safe":
- After the data is created, the C function passes the length of the array and a pointer to its start.
- On the Haskell side, we create a
ForeignPtr, setting up a finalizer which calls a C function that frees the pointer. - We build a
Vectorusing that foreign pointer which can be (immutably) used in Haskell code.
However, using this approach causes rather non-deterministic crashes. Small examples tend to work, but "once the GC kicks in", I start to get various errors from segmentation faults to "barf"s at this or this line in the "evacuation" part of GHC's GC.
What am I doing wrong here? What would be the "right way" of doing something like this?
An Example
I have a C header with the following declarations:
typedef struct CVector {
const int32_t *pointer;
size_t length;
} Vector;
void create_c_vector(struct CVector *vector);
void free_buffer(void *buff);
The Haskell code is generated from the following .chs file using c2hs:
import Foreign.C.Types
import Foreign.Concurrent
import Foreign.Marshal.Alloc
import Foreign.Ptr
import Foreign.Storable
import qualified Data.Vector.Storable as V
#include <cvector.h>
data ForeignVector = ForeignVector
{ pointerFV :: Ptr CInt
, lengthFV :: CULong
}
instance Storable ForeignVector where
sizeOf _ = {#sizeof CVector #}
alignment _ = {#alignof CVector #}
peek p =
ForeignVector
<$> {#get CVector->pointer #} p
<*> {#get CVector->length #} p
poke p (ForeignVector vecP l) =
do {#set CVector.pointer #} p (castPtr vecP)
{#set CVector.length #} p l
peekUnit :: Storable a => Ptr () -> IO a
peekUnit = peek . castPtr
{#fun create_c_vector as ^ { alloca- `ForeignVector' peekUnit*} -> `()' #}
{#fun free_buffer as ^ { `Ptr ()' } -> `()' #}
fromForeign :: ForeignVector -> IO (V.Vector CInt)
fromForeign (ForeignVector p l) =
V.unsafeFromForeignPtr0
<$> newForeignPtr p (freeBuffer . castPtr $ p)
<*> pure (fromIntegral l)
createVector :: IO (V.Vector CInt)
createVector = fromForeign =<< createCVector
One particular test I did yielded internal error: evacuate: strange closure type 177 after a few thousand calls to createVector.
PS: Here is why I would like to use Foreign.Concurrent.newForeignPtr instead of the more "standard"
Foreign.ForeignPtr.newForeignPtr: In some more complicated cases I am anticipating, while freeing the pointer one should also clean up other things which can potentially depend on parameters that are passed from Haskell. Therefore I would like to have a "finalizer with multiple arguments" and pass a partial application as the actual finalizer. This means that I can't use a pointer to a C function as the finalizer. While I've read that one can cook up the FinalizerPtr required for the finalizer from Haskell functions using a "wrapping" mechanism, according to the documentation, function pointers obtained this way need to be explicitly deallocated with freeHaskellFunPtr and I don't want to do bookkeeping for that.
PPS: Here is a base64-encoded tarball with the complete source code of the example above (including code for an executable that reproduces the aforementioned error):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