Create Aurora read replica option is missing from RDS Console

Viewed 2057

I have PostgreSQL DB running on Version 10.15 for which I like to created an Aurora Read Replica as mentioned in this official document, however in the AWS console I only have the option of Create Read Replica only and not Create Aurora Read Replica. The option is completely missing.

If I choose to Create Read Replica, it then just create another PostgreSQL instance instead of Aurora PostGres, and that's is not what I want.

P.s: I have auto back-up enabled for that instance

enter image description here

3 Answers

You must be running RDS PostegreSQL, as there is no Aurora PostegreSQL 10.15.

For the RDS, you only create read replicas as indicated in the AWS Console. Aurora replicas are only for Aurora PostgreSQL (not RDS PostgreSQL).

If I understood it correct, you have an RDS PostgreSQL instance (not Aurora) and want to create an Aurora PostgreSQL Read Replica from it. With steps mention on documentation link you shared.

This is possible and I could reproduce it, but not for all version.

I tested with MySQL, not with PostgreSQL, but the mechanism is the same.

I created one RDS MySQL (not Aurora) version 5.7.33 and from this one I can create Aurora Read Replica, as you can see from picture below.

RDS - Create Aurora Read Replica

The other one I created RDS MySQL (not Aurora) version 8.0.23, this one doesn't show me the option to create Aurora Read Replica.

RDS - Without Create Aurora Read Replica


Update

The rules to have this option enable is:

  1. The same major version between RDS and Aurora
  2. Minor version equal or higher on Aurora.

With versions we have today on RDS PostgreSQL and Aurora PostgreSQL, none match the rules above.
But we have a match for MySQL, as I showed.

If you want to migrate from RDS to Aurora, even though this options is not available you have other options, like snapshot and DMS.

With regards to Aurora MySQL, Aurora MySQL 2. x versions are compatible with MySQL 5.7 and Aurora MySQL 1. x versions are compatible with MySQL 5.6.

When creating a new Aurora MySQL DB cluster (including restoring a snapshot), you have the option of choosing compatibility with either MySQL 5.7 or MySQL 5.6.

This implies that When creating the RDS for MySQL instance, you are limited to versions of MySQL 5.6 or 5.7 (if you intend to create Aurora MySQL read replicas)

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/AuroraUserGuide/AuroraMySQL.Updates.2044.html

Related