I have a folder with 6 files, 4 are excel files that I would like to bring into pandas and 2 are just other files. I want to be able to use pathlib to work with the folder to automatically ingest the excel files I want into individual pandas dataframes. I would also like to be able to name each new dataframe with the name of the excel file (without the file extension)
for example.
import pandas as pd
import pathlib as pl
folder = pl.WindowsPath(r'C:\Users\username\project\output')
files = [e for e in folder.iterdir()]
for i in files:
print(i)
['C:\Users\username\project\output\john.xlsx',
'C:\Users\username\project\output\paul.xlsx',
'C:\Users\username\project\output\random other file not for df.xlsx',
'C:\Users\username\project\output\george.xlsx',
'C:\Users\username\project\output\requirements for project.txt',
'C:\Users\username\project\output\ringo.xlsx' ]
From here, i'd like to be able to do something like
for i in files:
if ' ' not in str(i.name):
str(i.name.strip('.xlsx'))) = pd.read_excel(i)
read the file name, if it doesn't contain any spaces, take the name, remove the file extension and use that as the variable name for a pandas dataframe built from the excel file.
If what I'm doing isn't possible then I have other ways to do it, but they repeat a lot of code.
Any help is appreciated.