VSCode keeps opening powershell on start even though Git Bash is set as default

Viewed 4486

I have set my integrated default terminal in VSCode as Git Bash but whenever I launch VSCode, powershell pops up instead of bash. It does not, however, change the default terminal setting but it is irritating. I have tried removing the profile of powershell from settings but that seems to do nothing. Why is this happening?

6 Answers

This worked for me:

{
    "terminal.integrated.defaultProfile.windows": "Git Bash",
    "terminal.integrated.profiles.windows": {
        "PowerShell": null,
        "Git Bash": {
            "source": "Git Bash"
        },
        "Windows PowerShell": null
    },
    "terminal.integrated.automationShell.windows": "Git Bash",
    "powershell.enableProfileLoading": false,
    "powershell.integratedConsole.showOnStartup": false
}

I managed to find a workaround without using the Insider's Build that may work for some of you : I removed all profiles safe for the one I want, and reinstalled VS Code. Then it somehow started using the right terminal on startup. I don't know if this works without disabling all other profiles though.

I was still having this issue, and what worked for me was:

  1. When PowerShell opened, I reset GitBash to my default, and then killed the terminal (so there were no terminal's running).
  2. Removed the terminal panel from view by clicking the X in the top right
  3. Closed VSCode
  4. When I opened my codebase again and showed the terminal, it began working.

This looks like an ongoing issue that is still not fixed in the current version (1.60.0).


This is now fixed in my current version (1.61.1).

Just did an update to version 1.60.1 and it fixed it.

From the release notes the bug was addressed and has since been merged.

Update 1.60.1: The update addresses these issues

Related