I was reading a decent paper S-DCNet and I fell upon a section (page3,table1,classifier) where a convolution layer has been used on the feature map in order to produce a binary classification output as part of an internal process. Since I am a noob and when someone talks to me about classification I automatically make a synapse relating to FCs combined with softmax, I started wondering ... Is this a possible thing to do? Can indeed a convolutional layer be used to classify a binary outcome? The whole concept triggered my imagination so much that I insist on getting answers...
Honestly, how does this actually work? What is the difference between using a convolution filter instead of a fully connected layer for classification purposes?
Edit (Uncertain answer on how does it work): I asked a colleague and he told me that using a filter of the same shape as the length-width shape of the feature map at the current stage, may lead to a learnable binary output (considering that you also reduce the #channels of the feature map to a single channel). But I still don't understand the motivations behind such a technique ..