Settings precedence (User, Workspace, Folder)

Viewed 454

VSCode team, thanks a lot for all the good in your work.

Issue: Pls, the precedence of various settings' levels seems to me to run in different direction, e.g. User level setting overrides the Workspace setting.

Example: Let me put an example (I have checked the precedence when using the 'NAB AL tools' extension, but anyway, the precedence should use the same principle within any VSCode's settings, if I get it right), pls correct where wrong:

  1. Some example checkbox is unchecked by default at all levels (User, Workspace, Folder)
  2. I put a checkmark in it at User level
  3. The same checkbox has no checkmark at Workspace level, i.e. is in its default status at Workspace level
  4. VSCode behaves based on checkbox's status that is set at the User level instead of the one at the Workspace level (the help text here explains that the Workspace level setting should override the User level setting)

Tried the same with text boxes, the same result.

Can you explain / help me a bit, if I understand the precedence help text explanation wrong pls?

Thanks;) best, Kamil

1 Answers

it's an old question, but I will try to answer it anyway.

The user configuration files takes precedence to the workspace one, that's what I've read in the vscode documentation. Next, it looks like the configuration is ANDed from user to workspace. Which means, if you as user, disable something, than being enabled in workspace is ignored. Other way, if you enable something as user, it means it will be enabled only if workspace has it enabled too.

I don't like this concept, it should be tristated, like enable/disable/read-from-workspace (or from user).

Related