I am trying to fill NA values in a column with other non-NA values within the same group in R. So my data looks something like this:
df
id year pop
1 E1 2000 NA
2 E2 2000 NA
3 E2 2001 NA
4 E2 2003 120
5 E2 2005 125
6 E3 1999 115
7 E3 2001 300
8 E3 2003 NA
9 E4 2004 10
10 E4 2005 NA
11 E4 2008 NA
12 E4 2009 9
13 E5 2002 12
14 E5 2003 80
And I want NA values to have either the last non-NA or the next non-NA value of pop within the same group of id. To look something like this:
df.desired
id year pop
1 E1 2000 NA
2 E2 2000 120
3 E2 2001 120
4 E2 2003 120
5 E2 2005 125
6 E3 1999 115
7 E3 2001 300
8 E3 2003 300
9 E4 2004 10
10 E4 2005 10
11 E4 2008 9
12 E4 2009 9
13 E5 2002 12
14 E5 2003 80
I tried different things with both zoo::na.locf() and dplyr::fill() but I keep having two main issues: 1. I get errors because entire groups only have NA (like id == "E1" here) and 2. I can only choose either the last or the naxt non-NA value.
These are some examples of what I've tried:
library(tidyverse)
library(zoo)
df.desired <- df %>%
group_by(id) %>%
arrange(year)%>%
mutate(pop_imputated = pop)%>%
fill(pop_imputated)%>%
ungroup()
df.desired <- df %>%
group_by(id) %>%
arrange(year)%>%
mutate(pop_imputated = zoo::na.locf(pop))%>%
fill(pop_imputated)%>%
ungroup()
Any ideas? Thanks a lot!