Python Selenium "Unable to locate element"

Viewed 103

I am trying to use Selenium to sign up an email account automatically whenever I need to. It's just a fun learning project for me. For the life of me I don't understand why it can't find the element. This code works fine on the sign-in page but not the sign-up page. I have tried all different Selenium commands and even tried using the ID and class name. Either is says it can't locate the element or that it is not reachable by keyboard.

from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.firefox.options import Options
import time


options = Options()

driver = webdriver.Firefox(options=options, executable_path=r'geckodriver.exe')


driver.get("https://mail.protonmail.com/create/new?language=en")
time.sleep(10)
username_input = driver.find_element_by_id("username").send_keys("testusername")

Also here is the HTML code: https://i.imgur.com/ZaBMTzG.png

2 Answers

The username field is in iframe, you need to switch to iframe to make this work. Below is the code that works fine :

driver.get("https://mail.protonmail.com/create/new?language=en")
driver.switch_to.frame(driver.find_element_by_css_selector("iframe[title='Registration form'][class='top']"))
driver.find_element_by_id("username").send_keys("some string")
  1. read more about iframe here
  2. learn more about how to switch to iframe/frame/framset using Python selenium Bindings here

Update :

wait = WebDriverWait(driver, 30)
driver.get("https://mail.protonmail.com/create/new?language=en")
driver.switch_to.frame(driver.find_element_by_css_selector("iframe[title='Registration form'][class='top']"))
driver.find_element_by_id("username").send_keys("some string")
driver.switch_to.default_content()
driver.execute_script("window.scrollTo(0, document.body.scrollHeight);")
sleep(5)
driver.switch_to.frame(driver.find_element_by_css_selector("iframe[title='Registration form'][class='bottom']"))
wait.until(EC.element_to_be_clickable((By.NAME, "submitBtn"))).click()

I'm not sure if I've seen enough code to diagnose, but I think the way you are defining username_input seems problematic. driver.find_element_by_id("username").send_keys("testusername") doesn't actually return anything so it seems like you are setting username_input = null.

Related