Python pytorch function consumes memory excessively quickly

Viewed 123

I am writing a function with pytorch that feeds inputs through a transformer model, then condenses the last embedding layer by computing the average along a specific axis (using a subset of indices defined by a mask). Since the output of the model is very very large, I need to process the inputs in batches.

My question does not concern the logic of this function as I believe I have the correct implementation. My issue is that the function I wrote consumes memory excessively quickly and practically makes it unusable.

Here is my function:

def get_chunk_embeddings(encoded_dataset, batch_size):
  chunk_embeddings = torch.empty([0,768])
  for i in range(len(encoded_dataset['input_ids'])//batch_size):
    input_ids = encoded_dataset['input_ids'][i*batch_size:i*batch_size + batch_size]
    attention_mask = encoded_dataset['attention_mask'][i*batch_size:i*batch_size + batch_size]
    embeddings = model.forward(input_ids=input_ids, attention_mask=attention_mask)['last_hidden_state']
    embeddings = embeddings * attention_mask[:,:,None]
    embeddings = embeddings.sum(dim=1)/attention_mask.sum(dim=1)[:,None]
    chunk_embeddings = torch.cat([chunk_embeddings, embeddings],0)
  return chunk_embeddings

Now let's talk memory (the numbers below assume that I pass a batch_size of 8):

  • I am using google colab and I have ~25 GB of RAM available
  • The model is a BERT model and consumes 413 MB
  • encoded_dataset consumes 0.48 GB
  • input_ids consumes 0.413 MB
  • attention_mask consumes 4.096 KB
  • embeddings at its peak consumption consume 12.6 MB
  • chunk_embeddings adds 0.024576 MB with each iteration

So from my understanding, I should be able to allow chunk_embeddings to grow up to: 25GB - 413MB - 0.48GB - 0.413MB - 4.096KB - 12.6MB ~= 24 GB. Enough for almost 1 million iterations..

Here I will walk through an example of what I am experiencing:

  1. Before running my function, google colab tells me that I have plenty of memory

enter image description here

  1. Now, for the sake of example, I will run the function (for only 3 iterations) To be explicit, I put this at the end of my for loop: if (i == 2):return chunk_embeddings

  2. Now I run the code val = get_chunk_embeddings(train_encoded_dataset, 8) So even with just 3 iterations, somehow I consume almost 5.5 GB of RAM.

enter image description here

Why is this happening? Also after I have returned from the function all of the local variables should be deleted and there is no way that val is so large.

Could someone tell me what it is I am doing wrong or am not understanding? Please let me know if further information is needed.

1 Answers

To expand upon @GoodDeeds' answer, by default the computations within a pytorch.nn module (model) create the computation graph and preserve the gradient (unless you are using with torch.no_grad() or something similar. That means that at every iteration of your loop, the computational graph for embeddings is stored within the tensor embeddings. embeddings.grad is likely much larger than embeddings itself because the gradient of each layer value with respect to each previous layer's value is maintained. Next, since you use torch.cat, you append embeddingsd and the associated gradient to chunk_embeddings. That means that after a few iterations, chunk_embeddings stores a huge number of gradient values, which is where your memory is going. There are a few solutions:

  1. If you need to use chunk embeddings for backpropogation (i.e. training), you should move your loss calculation and optimizer step within the loop, such that the gradients are automatically cleared afterwards.

  2. If this function is only used during inference, you can disable the gradient computation entirely (which should also speed computation slightly) using torch.no_grad(), or you can use torch.detach() on embeddings at each iteration as suggested in the comments.

Example:

def get_chunk_embeddings(encoded_dataset, batch_size):
  with torch.no_grad():
    chunk_embeddings = torch.empty([0,768])
    for i in range(len(encoded_dataset['input_ids'])//batch_size):
      input_ids = encoded_dataset['input_ids'][i*batch_size:i*batch_size + batch_size]
      attention_mask = encoded_dataset['attention_mask'][i*batch_size:i*batch_size + batch_size]
      embeddings = model.forward(input_ids=input_ids, attention_mask=attention_mask)['last_hidden_state']
      embeddings = embeddings * attention_mask[:,:,None]
      embeddings = embeddings.sum(dim=1)/attention_mask.sum(dim=1)[:,None]
      chunk_embeddings = torch.cat([chunk_embeddings, embeddings],0)
  return chunk_embeddings
    
Related