I try to compile a personal project on Visual Studio 2019 (using MSVC 19.28 compiler) and I came accross a compilation error in the std::visit which I don't understand:
<source>(131): error C2653: '`global namespace'': is not a class or namespace name
C:/data/msvc/14.28.29914/include\type_traits(1493): note: see reference to function template instantiation 'auto CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>::register_callback::<lambda_1>::()::<lambda_1>::operator ()<const _First&>(_T1) const' being compiled
with
[
_First=bool CmdLineOpts::* ,
_T1=bool CmdLineOpts::* const &
]
C:/data/msvc/14.28.29914/include\variant(1654): note: see reference to alias template instantiation 'std::_Variant_visit_result_t<CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>::register_callback::<lambda_1>::()::<lambda_1>,const std::variant<bool CmdLineOpts::* >&>' being compiled
<source>(120): note: while compiling class template member function 'void CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>::register_callback(const CommandLineOption &,std::variant<bool CmdLineOpts::* >)'
<source>(83): note: see reference to function template instantiation 'void CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>::register_callback(const CommandLineOption &,std::variant<bool CmdLineOpts::* >)' being compiled
<source>(142): note: see reference to class template instantiation 'CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>' being compiled
<source>(123): error C2672: 'visit': no matching overloaded function found
<source>(131): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'unknown-type std::visit(_Callable &&,_Variants &&...)'
C:/data/msvc/14.28.29914/include\variant(1654): note: see declaration of 'std::visit'
<source>(131): note: With the following template arguments:
<source>(131): note: '_Callable=CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts>::register_callback::<lambda_1>::()::<lambda_1>'
<source>(131): note: '_Variants={const std::variant<bool CmdLineOpts::* > &}'
<source>(131): note: '<unnamed-symbol>=void'
Compiler returned: 2
This code compiles fine with gcc.
I tested the code snippet from cppreference on std::visit and it compiles with MSVC, so I am not so sure what the issue here.
I simplified the code and reproduced the issue on godbolt
Here's the code
#include <algorithm>
#include <functional>
#include <iostream>
#include <map>
#include <memory>
#include <sstream>
#include <string>
#include <set>
#include <string_view>
#include <variant>
#include <type_traits>
using InvalidArgumentException = std::invalid_argument;
using CommandLineOption = std::string;
template <class Opts>
class CommandLineOptionsParser : Opts {
public:
using OptionType = std::variant<bool Opts::*>;
using CommandLineOptionWithValue = std::pair<CommandLineOption, OptionType>;
Opts parse(const char* argStr) {
// First register the callbacks
bool Opts::* pBool = &Opts::help;
register_callback("help", pBool);
for (auto& cbk : _callbacks) {
cbk.second(0, argStr);
}
return static_cast<Opts>(*this);
}
private:
using callback_t = std::function<void(int, const char *)>;
std::map<CommandLineOption, callback_t> _callbacks;
void register_callback(const CommandLineOption& commandLineOption, OptionType prop) {
_callbacks[commandLineOption] = [this, &commandLineOption, prop](int idx, const char * argv) {
if (std::string(argv) == commandLineOption) {
std::visit([](auto&& a) {
using T = std::decay_t<decltype(a)>;
if constexpr (std::is_same_v<T, bool Opts::*>) {
std::cout << "bool" << std::endl;
}
},
prop);
}
};
};
};
struct CmdLineOpts {
bool help{};
};
int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
CommandLineOptionsParser<CmdLineOpts> p;
CmdLineOpts cmdLineOptions = p.parse("opt1");
}