I would like to vectorize a function with a condition, meaning to calculate its values with array arithmetic. np.vectorize handles vectorization, but it does not work with array arithmetic, so it is not a complete solution
An answer was given as the solution in the question "How to vectorize a function which contains an if statement?" but did not prevent errors here; see the MWE below.
import numpy as np
def myfx(x):
return np.where(x < 1.1, 1, np.arcsin(1 / x))
y = myfx(x)
This runs but raises the following warnings:
<stdin>:2: RuntimeWarning: divide by zero encountered in true_divide
<stdin>:2: RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in arcsin
What is the problem, or is there a better way to do this?
I think this could be done by
- Getting the indices
ksofxfor whichx[k] > 1.1for eachkinks. - Applying
np.arcsin(1 / x[ks])to the slicex[ks], and using 1 for the rest of the elements. - Recombining the arrays.
I am not sure about the efficiency, though.