I am trying to implement a VERY efficient 2x2 matrix multiplication in C code for operation in an ARM Cortex-M4. The function accepts 3 pointers to 2x2 arrays, 2 for the inputs to be multiplied and an output buffer passed by the using function. Here is what I have so far...
static inline void multiply_2x2_2x2(int16_t a[2][2], int16_t b[2][2], int32_t c[2][2])
{
int32_t a00a01, a10a11, b00b01, b01b11;
a00a01 = a[0][0] | a[0][1]<<16;
b00b10 = b[0][0] | b[1][0]<<16;
b01b11 = b[0][1] | b[1][1]<<16;
c[0][0] = __SMUAD(a00a01, b00b10);
c[0][1] = __SMUAD(a00a01, b01b11);
a10a11 = a[1][0] | a[1][1]<<16;
c[1][0] = __SMUAD(a10a11, b00b10);
c[1][1] = __SMUAD(a10a11, b01b11);
}
Basically, my strategy is to to use the ARM Cortex-M4 __SMUAD() function to do the actual multiply accumulates. But this requires me to build the inputs a00a01, a10a11, b00b10, and b01b11 ahead of time. My question is, given that the C array should be a continuous in memory, is there a more efficient wat to pass the data into the functions directly without the intermediate variables? Secondary question, am I overthinking this and I should just let the compiler do its job as it is smarter than I am? I tend to do that a lot.
Thanks!