I have two table with a shared index, I want to divide one by another. This could be done with division on two data frames. But It seems arbitrary (how would I know I am dividing the right number?) and does not preserve index, so I want to do this division by matching rows with the same index. What's the best way to do this? Is there a best practice in terms of table division in this case?
tb1 <- data.frame(index = c(1, 2, 3), total_1 = c(100, 450, 300), total_2 = c(20, 39, 60))
tb2 <- data.frame(index = c(1, 2, 3), unit_1 = c(4, 2, 3), unit_2 = c(2, 3, 6))
tb1[,-1]/tb2[,-1]
total_1 total_2
1 25 10
2 225 13
3 100 10
Another case, two col of index must match.
tb2 <- data.frame(index_1 = c("a", "b", "b"), index_2 = c("c", "d", "b"), unit_1 = c(4, 2, 3), unit_2 = c(2, 3, 6))
tb1 <- data.frame(index_1 = c("a", "b", "b"), index_2 = c("c", "d", "b"), total_1 = c(100, 450, 300), total_2 = c(20, 39, 60))