bash tab auto-complete is too slow

Viewed 709

my pc has trouble doing tab auto-completion.

Say, I want to find a file whose name starts from 'a'. Then, I push the tab button like this.

$ ls a<tab>

Then, it is stuck like 2~3 seconds:( It bothers so much..

Plus, there's a one thing that maybe you should know.

Say agian, I want to find a file whose name starts from 'a'.

If there is only one file whose name starts from a in pwd, it works very well. I mean, there's no delay at all.

But if there's more than one file, it starts being stuck.

And, I followed https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/185960 method to investigate this. But, when I push the tab button after set -x, it is stuck at the first place. I mean,

$ set -x
$ ls a<tab>
# got stuck like 2~3 second
output of `set -x`

Here's my pc information.

$ uname -a
Linux seongwoo 5.4.0-72-generic #80~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 12 23:26:25 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Although I'm using oh-my-zsh, it has same trouble when I exec /bin/bash.

1 Answers
Related