AWS CLI not listing policies attached to role

Viewed 862

I followed the instructions here to set up and remove a python lambda function (and associated AWS resources).

When I try to clean up the function, role-policy and role, the instructions failed because the CLI does not manage to find the attached role policies. In particular, if I run:

aws iam list-role-policies --role-name myrolename

... I get an output of:

{
    "PolicyNames": []
}

But when I look up the same role in the AWS console, I can see the policy is there.

enter image description here

So what is going on here? Is this an AWS bug (CLI version aws-cli/2.1.33 Python/3.9.2 Darwin/20.4.0 source/x86_64), or am I muddled up here somehow?

1 Answers

As i can see from the image, its a managed policy and unfortunately list-role-policies only Lists the names of the inline policies that are embedded in the specified IAM role.

Doc says

An IAM role can also have managed policies attached to it. To list the managed policies that are attached to a role, use ListAttachedRolePolicies

use this for example

aws iam list-attached-role-policies --role-name SecurityAuditRole
Related