Doing this just for fun but I don't end up figuring this out.
Say I have a typeclass that unifies coordinate system on squares and hexagons:
{-# LANGUAGE DataKinds #-}
{-# LANGUAGE KindSignatures #-}
{-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}
{-# LANGUAGE ScopedTypeVariables #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeApplications #-}
{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies #-}
import Data.Proxy
data Shape = Square | Hexagon
class CoordSystem (k :: Shape) where
type Coord k
-- all coordinates arranged in a 2D list
-- given a side length of the shape
allCoords :: forall p. p k -> Int -> [[Coord k]]
-- neighborhoods of a coordinate.
neighborsOf :: forall p. p k -> Int -> Coord k -> [Coord k]
-- omitting implementations
instance CoordSystem 'Square
instance CoordSystem 'Hexagon
Now suppose I want to use this interface with a s :: Shape that is only known at runtime. But to make use of this interface, at some point I'll need a function like this:
-- none of those two works:
-- promote :: CoordSystem k => Shape -> Proxy (k :: Shape) -- signature 1
-- promote :: Shape -> forall k. CoordSystem k => Proxy (k :: Shape)
promote s = case s of
Square -> Proxy @'Square
Hexagon -> Proxy @'Hexagon
However this does not work, if signature 1 is uncommented:
• Couldn't match type ‘k’ with ‘'Square’
‘k’ is a rigid type variable bound by
the type signature for:
promote :: forall (k :: Shape). CoordSystem k => Shape -> Proxy k
at SO.hs:28:1-55
Expected type: Proxy k
Actual type: Proxy 'Square
Understandably, none of 'Square, 'Hexagon, k :: Shape unifies with others, so I have no idea whether this is possible.
I also feel type erasure shouldn't be an issue here as alternatives of Shape can use to uniquely identify the instance - for such reason I feel singletons could be of use but I'm not familiar with that package to produce any working example either.