AWS load balancer size limits

Viewed 6564

The AWS ALB limits size to 100 MB. Part of my API response is a rendered README.md from the Github API. I don't control the rendering, but it turns out ALB will not return a response with text of this rendered REAME.md file from Github. When I move response to directly hitting an Nginx LB from a VM, there is no issue. I looked at content, and yes, the README content is fairly large it seems. I don't know if/how exceeds 100 MB, but it seems to be he problem. Regardless, I cannot control how Github controls the rendering.

Is there any workaround this 100 MB limit? If not, can I use Nginx as a reverse load balancer for lambda functions? Otherwise, I'll need to go back to regular VMs and do a weighted DNS among non-autoscaling VMs since I still can't use a load balancer for VMs, Fargate, or anything.

1 Answers

Based on the comments.

One can't upload 100 MB files into a lambda function directly. The reason is that max data payloads for the lambda are:

  • 6 MB (synchronous)
  • 256 KB (asynchronous)

The alternatives are:

  • upload the file to S3 instead. You can setup S3 events to trigger your lambda for each newly uploaded file.
  • use something else then lambda, EC2, Fargate or Beanstalk to be able to upload 100 MB files directly.
Related