I want to extract Jira ticket number from the branch name with sed. This is what I have
echo "PTW-123-branch-name" | sed 's/.*\([A-Z]+-[0-9]+[^-]\).*/\1/'
expected result: PTW-123
What is wrong with the regexp?
I want to extract Jira ticket number from the branch name with sed. This is what I have
echo "PTW-123-branch-name" | sed 's/.*\([A-Z]+-[0-9]+[^-]\).*/\1/'
expected result: PTW-123
What is wrong with the regexp?
You may use this sed:
echo "PTW-123-branch-name" | sed 's/\([0-9]\)-.*$/\1/'
PTW-123
Details:
\([0-9]\)-: Matches a digit and captures it in group #1 followed by hyphen.*$: Match remaining string until end\1: Is replacement that puts captured digit back in outputAlternatively you can use cut also:
echo "PTW-123-branch-name" | cut -d- -f1,2
PTW-123
In case you are ok with GNU grep please try following then. Simple explanation would be passing echo command's output as a standard input to grep command. Then in grep command using -oP option to print only matched portion and enabling PCRE regex capabilities here. In match section of grep then using non-greedy match to match till digits which should be followed by -, then if a match is found it will print it.
echo "PTW-123-branch-name" | grep -oP '^.*?\d+(?=-)'