excuse me for asking something that has much overlap with many specific questions about the same knowledge area. I am curious to know if kubernetes will scale a pod in order to evict it.
Given are the following facts at the time of eviction:
The pod is running one instance.
The pod has an HPA controlling it, with the following params:
- minCount: 1
- maxCount: 2
It has a PDB with params:
- minAvailable: 1
I would expect the k8s controller to have enough information to safely scale up to 2 instances to meet the PDB, and until recently I was assuming it would indeed do so.
Why am I asking this? (The question behind the question ;)
Well, we run into auto-upgrade problems on AKS because it won't evict pods as described above, and the Azure team told me to change the params. But if no scaling happens, this means we have to set minAvailable to 2, effectively increasing pod amount only for future evictions. I want to get to the bottom of this before I file a feature request with k8s or a bug with AKS.