Does creating an AMI on AWS require the reboot of the original machine?

Viewed 3408

When creating an AMI image from an existing EC2 instance, does it require the restart of the existing instance?

I make a copy of the instance, and subsequently the server went down because it turned off a process monitor which led to downtime, but I can't remember if it was because I rebooted the system (I can't remember if I rebooted it), or if it was because I made a copy of the image.

enter image description here

2 Answers

There's option to enable No reboot during create AMI

enter image description here

When creating an AMI image from an existing EC2 instance, does it require the restart of the existing instance

to answer this yes, when ami is being created aws the instance for ensuring data integrity. doc says this "Amazon EC2 powers down the instance before creating the AMI to ensure that everything on the instance is stopped and in a consistent state during the creation process."

you can override this behaviour by enabling no reboot while creating ami.

No reboot – This option is not selected by default. Amazon EC2 shuts down the instance, takes snapshots of any attached volumes, creates and registers the AMI, and then reboots the instance. Select No reboot to avoid having your instance shut down.

refer 6 point of this https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/creating-an-ami-ebs.html.

also whenever you are unsure about anything just follow the docs of that service, it will be define in one way or the another.

Related