How to count text in a list separated with commas across sheets?

Viewed 10

Ok guys, I'm pretty basic here, so dum it down for me please! Can you sum the total times text shows up in a list? I have a list of initials that are in two columns in two sheets actually, like this:

Sheet 2 Column E - Column F

OA, GK, EF ...... - PZ

...

Sheet 3

Column E - Column F

GK, IN, PZ..... - OA

...

and I want to tally the number of times each initial shows up for each person in their row in a master sheet 1?

I tried this & I used CNTRL + SHFT + ENTER, but the formula has some flaw: =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(FIND("OA",'SHEET2!E:F))))+SUM(IF(ISTEXT(FIND("OA",'SHEET3!E:F))))

1 Answers

Wait, I figured it out...I guess I have to use COUNTIF instead of SUMIF, and I don't have to do all the fancy FINd or SEARCH stuff, I can just surround the criteria in stars!!

So, this worked: =COUNTIF('Sheet2!E:F,"OA")+COUNTIF('SHEET3!E:F,"OA")

Related