It means that, by the time of the base class constructor execution, the properties declared or overridden in the derived class are not yet initialized. If any of those properties are used in the base class initialization logic (either directly or indirectly, through another overridden open member implementation), it may lead to incorrect behavior or a runtime failure. When designing a base class, you should therefore avoid using open members in the constructors, property initializers, and init blocks.
I was studying Inheritence from Kotlin docs, and I got stuck here. There was another post which asked a question about this, but the answers were just what the docs said in a different way.
- To be clear, I understood the data flow between constructors and inheritence. What I couldn't understand was how we can use an overridden property in a base class initialization. It says
It could happen directly or indirectly
What does this actually mean? How can the base class can somehow access to the overridden property in the derived class?
- Also, it said
You should therefore avoid using open members in the constructors, property initializers and init blocks.
So how can we properly use open properties?
EDIT FOR THE COMMENT:
fun main ()
{
val d = Derived("Test2")
}
open class Base()
{
open val something:String = "Test1"
init
{
println(something) //prints null
}
}
class Derived(override val something: String): Base()